Novel Coronavirus Watch
The Australian Childcare Alliance (ACA) NSW has put together a dedicated webpage that offers all the information relevant for approved providers and senior personnel of member early childhood education and care services. This webpage will be continually updated so that ACA NSW members can have access to the latest information from one place.
For ACA NSW members only:
- In addition to the information below, ACA NSW members can click "Coronavirus - (Virtually) Everything you need to know" to login, access and view ACA NSW's recorded video webinar. ACA NSW members can also download the slides of that webinar via the same link for your reference.
For services' use:
- Social media tile - "Warm, soapy water is the best option for washing your hands."
- Social media tile - "Did you know that all early learning services are already required to be trained and qualified to handle infectious diseases?"
- Social media tile - "If you have symptoms such as flu-like, fever, coughing, shortness of breath and you've travelled to a country at risk, please call your early childhood education and care service and GP or hospital Emergency Department."
- Social media tile - Animated GIF of the above three tiles
- Social media tile - Washing hands and singing the ABCs
- Emergency Management Plan 2019/2020 template (ACA NSW members' login required)
Important telephone numbers:
- Public Health Unit (NSW Department of Health) on 1300 066 055
- the NSW Department of Education as the NSW Regulatory Authority (see website) or on 1800 619 113 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Coronavirus Health Information line on 1800 020 080
- Federal Department of Health's HealthDirect (24-hour health advice you can count on) - 1800 022 222
- Federal Department of Education's Community Child Care Fund (CCCF) line on 1300 650 848
- World Health Organization - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public
- World Health Organization - "Helping children cope with stress during the 2019-nCoV outbreak" poster
Government (Health-related) resources:
- NSW Department of Health - About the Novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
- NSW Department of Health - Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) NSW Case Questionnaire
- Federal Department of Home Affairs - Travel bans information (including the current list of countries) (correct as of 11 Mar 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for schools and early childhood centres, students and parents
- Federal Department of Health - About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Federal Department of Health - Who are the children and/or staff who cannot attend early childhood education and care services (correct as of 29 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - What does isolate in your home mean (correct as of 29 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - What if a child(ren) or staff become sick while in isolation (correct as of 29 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - How can we help prevent the spread of the virus (correct as of 29 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - Australian Health Sector's Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (correct as of 28 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - Information for Employers (correct as of 29 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - Information on the Use of Surgical Masks (correct as of 9 Feb 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - COVID-19 Isolation Guidance (correct as of 5 Mar 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - Home isolation guidance when unwell (suspected or confirmed cases) (correct as of 6 Mar 2020)
- Federal Department of Health - How to fit and remove a surgical mask
- National Health and Medical Research Council - Staying Healthy - Preventing infectious diseases in early childhood education and care services (as of Jun 2013)
- Federal Department of Home Affairs (Border Protection) - Travel restrictions (14-day self-isolation for all international travellers to Australia) (correct as of 15 Mar 2020)
- Federal Treasury: Cashflow assistance for businesses
- HealthDirect - Childcare, school exclusions, and COVID-19 (for parents and educators)
Government (Early Childhood Education and Care related) resources:
- NSW Department of Education - Updated information COVID-19 (correct as of 12 Mar 2020)
- NSW Department of Education - FAQs - COVID-19 (correct as of 12 Mar 2020)
- NSW Department of Education - How the NSW Regulatory Authority can assist services impacted by COVID-19 (correct as of 13 March 2020)
- Federal Department of Education: Coronavirus (COVID-19) (correct as of 29 Jan 2020)
- Federal Department of Education: Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for child care providers and services (correct as of 15 Mar 2020)
- Federal Department of Education: Community Child Care Fund (CCCF)'s Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity
- Federal Department of Education: video broadcast information session about COVID-19 (19 March 2020)
Information for Approved Providers and Senior Personnel:
- What are the symptoms to look for?
- Which countries should I be paying more attention to?
- What degree of separation of people associated with my service should I be focussed on?
- Which policy should my service be relying on?
- Is a dedicated Novel Coronavirus policy needed?
- Will the Federal Government provide Child Care Subsidies despite absences?
- What if parents refuse to pay their fees?
- Do staff need to be paid while in isolation?
- What is the current Australian and global statistics of infections and deaths?
- How does the Novel Coronavirus compare with current and past pandemics?
- Can masks be effective?
- How likely would the Federal or NSW Government force business closures?
- Does my business insurance cover business interruption resulting from the Novel Coronavirus?
- Can the Federal/NSW Government assist in terms of business continuity subsidies?
- What should I tell families?
- Who should I talk to if excluding children?
- Should I be charging parents if their child is excluded or that they choose to stay at home?
- What if a child is excluded and hasn't actually started their first formal day of care?
- Does this apply for Out-of-School-Hours-Care (OSHC)?
- Availability and use of personal (sick/carer's) leave?
- How should an employer pay employees who are isolated, but not diagnosed with the Novel Coronavirus?
- What about casual employees?
- Can I use the "stand down" provisions (s524) of the Fair Work Act if my service is instructed to temporarily close?
- What government funding is there to pay for my staff if my service is instructed to temporarily close?
Member Alerts from ACA/ACA NSW:
- 27 January 2020 - Information for ECEC services dealing with the Novel Coronavirus
- 28 January 2020 - Helping services anticipate possible Novel Coronavirus incidences
- 4 March 2020 - How will the coronavirus impact our sector in the coming weeks?
Live Webinars conducted by ACA NSW (Free for ACA NSW members, $40 inc GST for non-members):
- 11 March 2020 @ 6.30 pm (100 pax) - SOLD OUT
- 13 March 2020 @ 9 am (100 pax) - SOLD OUT
- 17 March 2020 @ 6.30 pm (100 pax) - SOLD OUT
- 20 March 2020 @ 10 am (100 pax) - SOLD OUT
- 26 March 2020 @ 7 pm (100 pax) - Register Here
- 27 March 2020 @ 10 am (100 pax) - Register Here
ACA NSW members can immediately access for free the most recent version of the "Coronavirus - (Virtually) Everything you need to know" webinar via logging-in to the ACA NSW website. Notwithstanding, ACA NSW members can still register above to receive the latest information via the above list of live webinars.
For those who are not ACA NSW members and also need immediate access, our most recent webinar-on-demand (20 March 2020) is available (via here) at a cost of AUD$60.22 inc GST for a 30-day rental.
ACA NSW members and non-members can also attend any of 29x ACA NSW Network Meetings where the latest information about the Novel Coronavirus will also be presented and discussed.
And although best endeavours have been made to ensure the latest and correct information are shared, ACA NSW does not assume any responsibility for any of its contents being overtaken by new information and events.
PUBLISHED: 4 MARCH 2020
UPDATED: 20 MARCH 2020